Gummy Bear Breast Implants | Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery, Inc.
Choosing Gummy Bear Breast Implants
You’ve been thinking about having breast augmentation surgery and you’ve done some research into the different types of implants that are available to you. One option has stood out to you, gummy bear implants, but you want to know more about them before you make your final decision. Here’s a brief overview of what gummy bear implants can do for you and why you should consider them as your implant of choice.
What are Gummy Bear Implants?
Form-stable breast implants, more commonly known as gummy bear implants, offer unique advantages and have been developed to address patient concerns regarding the leaking of silicone gel. Their name is derived from the highly (or ultra) cohesive, form-stable consistency of the silicone formulation used, which resembles that of gummy bear candy. When cut in half, the silicone gel in each half holds together uniformly and retains its shape or form.
As the consistency of the silicone gel inside the implant is thicker than in traditional silicone gel implants, gummy bear implants are less likely to break and offer minimal gel bleeding.
This type of silicone gel is used in shaped implants, which are designed to replicate the look and feel of a natural breast. Known as teardrop anatomical implants, they’re soft to touch and possess a natural-looking teardrop appearance.
Once implanted, the breast conforms to the shape of these implants, and irrespective of a woman’s body position, overtime this shape and an upright position is maintained with minimal rippling/wrinkling. One drawback of this form-stability is that gummy bear implants can feel firmer than other silicone implants. However, the density of gummy bear implants still more closely resembles that of natural breast tissue than saline implants.
How Gummy Bear Implants Compare to Other Types of Breast Implants
When choosing which type of breast implant will work best for you, you should consider all of the options available. Basically, you have three breast implant types to consider: saline, silicone gel, and highly cohesive silicone gel (gummy bear). While the gummy bears are getting a lot of attention these days, each type has its place in the breast augmentation world. You should at least know the basics about each type before making your final decision.
• Made of: silicone outer shell filled with sterile saline (salt water) solution.
• Examples are: Mentor Saline and Natrelle Saline.
• They feel: firmer than silicone gel.
• Options are: round for a fuller look, contoured for a more natural breast shape, 3 projection profiles, and smooth or textured options.
• Great because: they’re less expensive, they can be filled to an ideal amount during surgery, and they require a smaller incision.
• Possible drawbacks are: the firmness can feel less natural to some and they’re more prone to rippling.
• Made of: silicone gel, silicone shell.
• Examples are: Mentor MemoryGel and Natrelle Silicone.
• They feel: much like natural breast tissue.
• Options are: round for a fuller look, 3 projection profiles, and a variety of sizes to fit your body well.
• Great because: they look very natural, they feel the most like real breast tissue, and they’ve been used safely for 20+ years. They have the least amount of rippling.
• Possible drawbacks are: they cost a little more and, since they’re prefilled, they require a longer incision.
Highly Cohesive Silicone (Gummy Bear)
• Made of: high-strength silicone gel, textured silicone shell.
• Examples are: Mentor MemoryShape and Natrelle 410.
• They feel: like gummy bears; firmer, yet pliable.
• Options are: teardrop shape for a more natural breast contour, and a variety of heights and profiles to dial your look.
• Great because: they allow for a shaped silicone implant, they’ll stay in place, and they look really natural.
• Possible drawbacks are: some find them a little too firm and they require a larger incision than saline. They also have a higher incidence of rippling than typical silicone gel.
Why Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon Can Make All the Difference
If you’re considering breast augmentation surgery, the most important decision you’ll make is who will perform your procedure. When you visit a plastic surgeon, ask how many breast augmentations he or she has performed, and be sure to look at plenty of before and after photos during your consultation—this will help you get a feel for the surgeon’s aesthetic style.
Make sure your surgeon is board certified; this ensures that he or she is specifically trained and experienced, including specializing in breast augmentation, and that your procedure will take place in an accredited facility, which is essential for your safety.
Finally, don’t choose a breast augmentation surgeon based on price. You can’t put a price on your safety and results. Most plastic surgeons offer multiple financing options to help you fit a breast augmentation into your budget.
Consult with Dr. Chiu
If you are seriously considering getting a breast augmentation, then you should book a consultation with Dr. Gabriel Chiu of Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery, Inc. With years of experience in his field and innumerable outstanding breast augmentations under his belt, he has the knowledge and expertise to help you make the right choice when it comes to choosing the right implant for your breast augmentation needs.