The Benefits of Breast Reconstruction Surgery
A breast reconstruction surgery is the perfect way to restore the look and feel of natural breasts to patients who have undergone a mastectomy. Reconstruction is also ideal for those who have lost or damaged their breasts in an accident. Moreover, breast reconstruction surgery can also correct the results of failed breast augmentations.
Below are a few factors to consider when deciding if breast reconstruction surgery is right for you:
Am I a Good Candidate?
Good candidates for breast reconstruction include:
- Women who have suffered an injury where their breasts have been damaged or lost
- Women who have had a mastectomy on one or both of their breasts
- Women who need a breast augmentation corrected, or have sustained damage to their breasts due to an augmentation
All of these patients can benefit from having a new breast or breasts designed to resemble their natural breasts. However, results vary, so it’s important to discuss your expectations in detail with your surgeon prior to the procedure.
Types of Reconstruction
- Reconstruction using implants
- Reconstruction that uses the patient’s own tissue: tissue is often harvested from the patient’s back, midsection, or buttock
- Reconstruction that uses a combination of implants and the patient’s tissue
The Stages of Reconstruction
- Creating the breast mound
- Touching up the designed breast or breasts
- For mastectomy patients that have only lost one breast, the possible augmentation of the remaining breast in order to achieve breast symmetry
- The creation of a nipple or areola
Things to Keep in Mind
- It’s important to know that the newly-created breast will not regain the sensation of natural breasts.
- It is safe for mastectomy patients to have a breast reconstruction surgery directly following their mastectomy procedure.
- Following your breast reconstruction procedure, you will require at least 1 night in the hospital and up to 2 weeks for a full recovery at home. Plan accordingly to schedule time off from the office.
- Some patients, especially those who are only having one breast worked on, may require additional procedures such as a breast lift to achieve the best results.
If you are considering breast reconstruction surgery, schedule a personalized consultation with Dr. Chiu today. For this and all of your plastic surgery questions and concerns, contact the experts at Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery.