CoolSculpting or Liposuction: Which One is Better for You?
Do you have stubborn fat that doesn’t seem to want to melt away with diet or exercise? Then maybe fat removal with a cosmetic procedure is the answer you are looking for. Two of the most popular fat removal cosmetic procedures you may be considering are CoolSculpting or liposuction. Here’s a quick look at what each cosmetic procedure has to offer, how they differ, and how they may benefit you.
CoolSculpting is a procedure that uses patented cooling technology to eliminate fat cells without surgery and presents little-to-no downtime. The reduction in fat cells in the treated area provides noticeable, lasting results to help you look and feel your very best.
CoolSculpting works by precisely targeting problematic fat cells beneath the skin and freezing them, which causes the fat cells to die. Since fat cells freeze at a higher temperature than the surrounding tissues, there is no damage to skin, nerves, or other surrounding tissue.
As the treated fat cells shrink and die overtime, your body will naturally metabolize them, eliminating these dead cells, and leaving a more sculpted you. Unlike with diet or exercise where the fat cells may be reduced in size, CoolSculpting completely removes them.
Some things worth keeping in mind regarding CoolSculpting include:
- The length of the procedure will depend on how many areas you want treated; Dr. Gabriel Chiu may recommend additional sessions to reach your desired goals.
- CoolSculpting is designed to address stubborn fat cells that will not reduce in response to diet or exercise; it is not an alternative for weight loss.
- Most patients can return to their normal routine 2 to 3 days after the procedure. However, strenuous activity should still be avoided at this time.
- Remember that the full results of your CoolSculpting procedure will take time to manifest. A general guideline is 3-6 months.
- You must maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine to ensure the results of your CoolSculpting procedure remain.
Liposuction is a surgical technique that improves the body’s contour by removing excess fat deposits. During the procedure, cannulas (small, thin, blunt-tipped tubes) are inserted through tiny incisions in the skin in order to suction out the targeted fat deposits.
There are several different techniques that can be used for liposuction, with the following three being utilized here at Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery, Inc.:
- Power-Assisted—uses a machine that vibrates the liposuction cannula to dislodge problematic fat cells. It’s an ideal solution for targeting larger amounts of fat and results in less bruising than traditional liposuction measures. It can be used to sculpt all areas of the body.
- Ultrasound-Assisted—the liposuction cannula emits ultrasound waves to dislodge fat cells. This method is often utilized in areas with a high degree of fibrous tissue, such as the upper back or male breasts.
- Laser-Assisted—this type uses cool/chilled laser pulses that are administered to liquefy the problematic fat cells. This option is a more ideal solution for smaller areas of the face, neck, arms, thighs, buttocks, and abdomen.
Liposuction can address areas such as:
- Face and neck
- Inner thighs
- Legs and ankles
- Outer thighs
Key Differences at a Glance
While both treatments have the same goal of fat reduction, the fundamental difference between CoolSculpting and liposuction lies in the treatment approach and the degree of invasiveness involved.
CoolSculpting is a completely non-surgical, non-invasive procedure, which makes it more suited for patients who wish to avoid invasive cosmetic treatments, without having to compromise on effectiveness. This treatment avoids any damage to the surrounding healthy tissue, involves little to no downtime, and doesn’t carry the risks that are common with many surgical procedures.
Liposuction has a more traditional, invasive approach to fat reduction. It is a more complex procedure and should only be performed by a qualified cosmetic surgeon. Since liposuction is an invasive procedure, it involves a certain amount of downtime, depending on the extent of the treatment performed.
Consult with Dr. Chiu
Before you decide on CoolSculpting or liposuction, you should book a consultation with Dr. Chiu to go over all of your options. With years of experience in his field, he has the knowledge and know-how to answer any questions or concerns that you might have about removing your stubborn fat with a cosmetic procedure.