Silicone Gel Breast Implants
Silicone gel breast implants are pre-filled breast implants that are safely utilized for a majority of breast augmentation operations. Despite what patients may have heard in the past, silicone gel breast implants are safe devices approved by the FDA since 2006. At our outpatient facility in Beverly Hills, board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Gabriel Chiu, is capable of performing breast augmentation with these devices for patients who are seeking to achieve the more natural look and feel of their breasts. The contents of a silicone gel breast implant include a silicone shell filled with cohesive silicone gel that is neither a liquid nor a solid, which makes it a popular brand since the material imitates the patient’s own breast tissue.
Saline Breast Implants
Saline breast implants used to be the primary breast implant option for patients in the United States, as they are filled to the desired volume once inserted in the breast cavity. Saline breast implants consist of a silicone shell that is filled with a sterile salt water solution that imitates the body’s own natural fluids. Patients opt for this style of implant to avoid the concern about silicone gel leaking to unwanted places in the body following a crack in the shell casing, since saline is absorbed naturally without any problem. Despite the inability to promote natural change of the breast, these devices can be filled safely to match the personal goals of any patient.
Silicone Gel Vs. Saline Brest Implants
Silicone breast implants and Saline breast implants can achieve great results for the right patient. Upon consultation with Dr. Chiu, your evaluation will determine whether your results will reflect greatly with the right solution type. Just ask yourself whether the look you desire can be achieved with the right type of breast implant solution.
Saline breast implants, unlike silicone breast implants, can be manipulated to match the patient’s exact measurement once they are inserted on top or under the breast muscle. Some of the benefits and of saline breast implants include:
- Saline solution absorbs safely within the body upon rupture
- Implants available in various sizes, profiles and textures
- Require smaller incision lines that are hidden well compared to longer silicone incisions
- Saline breast implants candidates can be as young as 18 years old
The most important decision you will make is whether or not your goals can be achieved with silicone breast implants or saline implants. The primary advantage for patients with silicone breast implants is that these devices look and feel similar to natural breast tissue, whereas saline is more liquid-like. The advantages of silicone breast implants today include:
- Silicone gel does not deflate the breast if punctured or torn
- Great solution for patients with minimal existing breast tissue
- Silicone gel implants are available in variety of sizes, profiles and textures
Consider the following facts to help you determine which breast implant type is best for you:
- Capsular Contracture (Implant Hardening) – Saline: more likely; Silicone: less likely
- Skin Wrinkling (Implant Rippling) – Saline: more likely; Silicone less likely
- Visual perception of Breast Implants – Saline: more likely; Silicone less likely
- Implant Rupture Detection – Saline: simple deflation; Silicone: performed with a study
- Incision Lines – Saline: Smaller with many options; Silicone: Larger, direct breast access
There is no one answer to determine whether saline or silicone breast implants are the perfect option, but a consultation with Dr. Chiu will determine which type of implant is suitable for your aesthetic goals. Schedule a consultation today.