Your BOTOX® Cosmetic Timeline and Overview
Doctors have successfully used BOTOX® Cosmetic as a tried-and-true solution for those pesky fine lines and wrinkles that appear with age. Every year, millions of patients undergo BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments to minimize signs of aging and rejuvenate their appearance. According to the 2017 American Society of Plastic Surgeons plastic surgery statistics report, BOTOX® Cosmetic continues to be the top minimally invasive treatment in the U.S., helping men and women achieve the youthful aesthetic they desire. With a customized treatment plan, patients can obtain personalized, refreshing, and natural-looking results.
How BOTOX® Cosmetic Works
When BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected into the facial muscles, the nerve activity is limited, and expression lines and facial wrinkles are softened. Some areas that can be treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic include:
- Forehead lines: Lines and wrinkles that appear on the forehead can give you a harsh and aged appearance. BOTOX® Cosmetic can treat unwanted lines and wrinkles on the forehead and give you a pleasant and more youthful appearance.
- Frown lines: These vertical wrinkles between the brows are caused by frequent muscle contractions from making certain facial expressions. BOTOX® Cosmetic can smooth out this area so that the face appears more inviting and relaxed.
- Crow’s feet: These small wrinkles that appear at the outer corners of the eyes are among the first signs of facial aging. BOTOX® Cosmetic targets these lines so that the eyes look brighter and more youthful.
- Neck bands: The appearance of the neck plays a critical role in the way a person looks. BOTOX® Cosmetic can minimize neck bands to smooth and rejuvenate the neck.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected in controlled amounts by a qualified medical professional. The process takes 10 to 15 minutes and does not require anesthesia. Patients usually experience only minor discomfort, but applying ice or a topical anesthetic can numb the area if desired. It is recommended to avoid consuming alcohol for at least one day prior to and on the day of the procedure. Patients are also advised to cease taking aspirin and other anti-inflammatory medications one week before treatment to reduce bruising.
Potential Side Effects
There is a minimal risk of experiencing side effects with BOTOX® Cosmetic. Some side effects are temporary bruising, headaches, and eyelid drooping. However, these reactions are rare and usually resolve quickly.
Recovery and Results Timeline
- Immediately after: Patients can return to normal activities right away but should avoid rubbing the treated area. Patients should also avoid lying down for a few hours. During this time, some bruising, pain, or inflammation may occur as side effects.
- 3 to 5 days after: Results will start to become noticeable.
- 7 to 10 days after: This is when your BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments will be in full effect. Your skin’s smoothness in the treated areas will last for many months.
- 4 to 6 months after treatment: At this time, patients are recommended to undergo a repeat treatment to maintain the rejuvenating effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic. However, wrinkles tend to appear less severe over time as the muscles become accustomed to relaxing.
Are You Considering BOTOX® Cosmetic Treatment?
Top Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Dr. Gabriel Chiu has extensive experience in using BOTOX® to eliminate fine lines and wrinkles while delivering aesthetically pleasing and natural-looking results. At Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery, we offer a luxurious, serene setting so that you are completely comfortable during your treatment. Our friendly staff will be on hand to answer any questions or to discuss any concerns that you may have before and after your procedure. Dr. Chiu will explain all aftercare instructions so that you are confident and have no doubts about your decision.
Ideal candidates for BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments should be in good health and have a realistic expectation of their results. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, as well as anyone with a neurological disease, should not use BOTOX® Cosmetic. It’s also important to note that BOTOX® Cosmetic does not treat all wrinkles, so it’s critical that you consult a medical professional to see what type of treatment can help you achieve your goals.
For those with a variety of aesthetic goals, BOTOX® Cosmetic can potentially be used in conjunction with other types of treatment. Individuals with loose skin and deep creases, for example, will achieve optimal results with a facelift. During your consultation, Dr. Chiu will evaluate your cosmetic objectives and your facial anatomy to determine the best treatment plan for you.
Dr. Gabriel Chiu is a renowned plastic and reconstructive surgeon specializing in the art of aesthetic plastic surgery. To find out if you are a candidate for BOTOX® Cosmetic or if you have additional questions, contact Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery by calling (310) 586-3449.